Wednesday, June 22, 2016

My reuse and recycle continues: Buffet from the 1940's moves on to the contemporary present. MY HOW TO.......

We moved from a home that had a great deal of space.  That home had a very traditional dining room and living room.  Our new home has just enough living space for us but it has a much more casual environment.

In the first year of our marriage we purchased a dining table, chair and a buffet at an auction for $280. We really thought we were going over the top on spending that much money at the time. We used the table and chairs for 15 years.  We have never stopped using the buffet.  After our move I wanted to make it feel casual like our home.

It seems like most everything is painted these days to make it "current".  This actually makes me chuckle, because there was a time during the 70's that my mom put paint and antiquing on everything. I see that phase again and I hope it lasts for a while because I do not want to strip these items because someone says I ruined them with paint.

This buffet is a replica Ducan Phiffe from the late 1940's.  In this picture the top two are pictures of the buffet before the remake and the lower two are the NEW version of my buffet.


Advice and steps for a project like this.

Things you need:  Sand paper, disposable paint brush(es), paint ( this project took the small can of paint), handles, some sort of drop cloth, drill and drill bit, screw driver, wet towel or attachment for drill. (Note for beginners:  your drill has a reverse on it so that you can remove screws with your drill very quickly.  Do not forget to change it back when you are putting handles on or drilling.)

1. Carefully decide what you want to do before you act.  Occasionally we think we have bright ideas and we act before we think and the cartoon bubble in your head does not resemble your finished product.  

2.  I removed the handles on the buffet.  

3.  I wasn't sure if I wanted to paint the entire buffet so I started with the top, doors and drawers.  I used Rustoleum furniture paint which I love!  

a.  Sand surface that you want to paint with fine sand paper.  This helps the paint adhere.  
b.  Make sure you place cardboard or newspaper on the area that you are painting because no matter how careful you think you are you will spill.  
c.  Always have a damp towel or rag at your side for slip ups and spills.  

4.  After the buffet dried I decided I love the partial painted look.  
I purchased handles that had two holes to attach to the buffet (the previous had one).  If you do this make sure the hole is going to be covered.  If not you will need putty that matches your surface and fill the hole.  I then measured the distance that the holes needed to be drilled and made a template so that the handles would be placed evenly on the project.

Note that I chose a handle color that matched the hinges on the doors.  You would not want nickle plated handles with brown hinges.  The type of handles that I used are traditionally known as CUP handles.

You want to make sure that you have a drill bit that is the correct size.  If it is too big your handles will slide around.  Also make sure that your bit is sharp so that you can drill through the wood quickly.

5.  After your markings and holes are done you can then attach the handles with the screws provided.

I love how my buffet turned out.  My husband came home and though that I had purchased new furniture.  This goes so well with the more casual look that we have in our home now and feels like it is NEW.  

I spent about $25 on this remake, well worth time and money that it saved me, versus purchasing new furniture.

What ever your project might be, I hope that you might have fun with it!

With love from your retired FACS teacher, Jane




No comments:

Post a Comment