Thursday, June 23, 2016

So "Mom hair" is now a thing.....What is wrong with it? And, why do we ALWAYS have negative connotations associated with MOM?

Recently I was listening to talk radio while the personalities were talking about the article written about "Mom hair".  I became a bit outraged while driving in my car.  With out reading the article it was implied that because someone became a mom they instantly became frumpy, drab, and became even more so when they cut their long hair into a reverse bob.

Seriously??????

Here is the public link to the article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/23/fashion/mom-hair-tips.html?_r=0

As I read it, it talked about Mom's feeling bad about their appearance and so the instantly cutting their hair to make them feel better but it often does the opposite because it makes them look chubbier.  Say what?

I am a Mom of grown children and yes, I and several of my friends have this hair cut.  Guess what, some of our grown girl children say that we are with it, we are vogue, we don't appear our age.  So what about the Mom hair is an indication of your old and out of touch?  Someone, please, explain to me why having your hair manicured and styled is frumpy and bad.

Over the years we have attacked Mom's about their clothes, their body shapes, their personal appearance, now their hair and along with many other things.  How about we salute Mom's and be grateful for the things that they do and have done for their children.  How about we praise them for the items they give up so that their children can have more.

How about we give Mom's a break for not being slim, trim and having a tummy from birthing children and maybe drinking one too many cocktails during their relaxation time.  What Mom, with children, has time to take an hour out of their day to run to the gym and exercise for an hour several days a week?  What Mom hasn't given up the "new" jean silhouette so that she could provide more for her children?

Mom's are super heroes!

The average mom sacrifices so much for her children and her family.

She gives up her personal time, clothing budget, personal space, social time with her spouse, often while working too and keeping up the home.

Is their a way to help Mom's with out criticizing what they do?  Is their a way to make a mom feel like she doesn't need plastic surgery and lypo suction to be attractive?  Is their a way we can help society make Mom feel like she is a wonderful, kind, giving beautiful person just the way she is?

Let's celebrate Mom because she is Mom.  Let's not judge each other but celebrate each other.  Let's be at peace with who we are in the moment.  Let's just be.

Because with out Mom, her love, her giving, her kindness, her understanding; we wouldn't be the people that we are.

With love from your retired FACS teacher and yes a lady with "Mom hair".

Jane

P.S. Mom is spelled with a capital M with intention!


2 comments:

  1. Amen! I'm not a mom but a savvy auntie, however, I have students call me mom, aunt, and few slip and say grandma, so I lower my glasses, cock an eyebrow, and give them MY grandmother's look and generally get quick apologies with giggles about "my look". Several years ago, I had quite a few girls always wanting to touch my hair. They couldn't believe how soft it was. They were starting to creep me out, but apparently they were doing it to some of the "older" female teachers, too...Glad that group grew up and stopped touching my hair!!! :)

    ReplyDelete