Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Sewing/fashion class for new teachers with their schools sewing machine was fun and successful

At the beginning of August I conducted a two day seminar on operating your schools sewing machine and simple sewing projects.

I offered this quick course because I had former co-workers that new very little about sewing and how to operate a machine.  This is a rather difficult situation when one has to teach even the very simple basics.

Knowing how it often is for a first year teacher, to plan and develop courses as they go; I was hoping that this would be a good time for new teachers to just focus on one thing with no outside interruptions.  Each person brought one or two of their schools sewing machines and gathered information on how to operate it with somewhat ease.

We talked about scope and sequence of courses too.

I started with understanding fabric, project ideas, supplies needed, understanding sewing machines and how to use them and test sewing for students.  The students were given time to make a parts slide show with their school sewing machine.  I gave them links to information that I used in class.  They can use this, edit it and make it their own.  But, it is something to start with.

We actually did sewing on paper. Seam samples and then finally a pouch with a zipper.

I demonstrated each of the items so that they would have an understanding of how it would look in a classroom (which was a little difficult with colleagues) and then they practiced.  They were given time to make demonstration videos for there classroom but most wanted to do these at home with good light and in place that they were comfortable.  Making videos with new found friends isn't always easy.

I emphasized how important it is to have videos for students to see more than once and for students that are absent.

I charged a small amount for this workshop because I wanted a commitment from people to attend.  It is so much easier to cancel when there is no investment.

I had three wonderful students.  I am so excited for each of them, all in different situations.  I wish each of them the best in the coming year!

If you are interested in my course or in teaching something similar please send me a note.

As an early retired teacher, it was so fun to be able to give something back to the wonderful people that are following in my footsteps.

With love from your retired FACS teacher,
Jane

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your amazing skills! How lucky they were to learn from a master!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the quilt in the picture at the top!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so willing to help others. Keep up the great work promoting FACS and being a spokesperson.

    ReplyDelete