Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Using a pastry blender for a crust and apple pie

I love making pie.  I am pretty good at it.  I don't often talk about things I make because baking and cooking is an ever basic thing that a great deal of people do well.  But, everyone has a specialty.   This happens to be my specialty.

I use shortening in my recipe because it has the least amount of moisture.  You can use butter if you do not like those solid hydrogenated fats. 

I believe in making things from scratch because the processed pre-made foods are so full of chemicals that we do not need in our bodies.

I did 3 different clips related to making (Hear the Northern accent?...pretty darn close to Fargo in some spots....embarrassing!)

a.  The pastry http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqgjR-tWsLk

b. Rolling the crust and the filling http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP4WFkcZB7M

c. Rolling the top and fluting the a pie crust http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiPuz25T2EQ



The finished product

 Double pie crust recipe

2/3 cup shortening or butter
2 cups flour
1 t salt
use pastry blender to blend into pea size chunks

6-8 Tablespoons water (add using pastry blender until moist enough to hold dough together)

Apple pie filling (Mix all together but butter.  After pouring in the crust dab with the butter and cover with your top crust.)

6-8 peeled and sliced tart apples
 (lemon to prevent brown)

1/2 c sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1 t cinnamon
1/4 to 1/2 nutmeg
2 T Flour to thicken filling
1 T and 1 t butter to dab on top of filling


With love from your
retired FACS teacher, Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment