Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Thanksgiving preparation, Center piece ideas

I have a lot of "stuff" but I use it over and over.  Most of the time it is purchased after the season on clearance, at a garage sale, an antique store, a thrift store, or the dollar store.  I love to decorate but I love a bargain more.

My bargain days started out of necessity because when I was first married I did not work outside of the home and my decorating was certainly considered frivolous. 

Here are a couple of Fall vignettes that I have set up this year. 
The first is so simple.  While on the motorcycle this fall we saw pumpkins for sale on farms.  I purchased them at two different places.  Most of time these places sell their products for a very low price.  The small pumpkins were $1.00 somewhere in Wisconsin and the larger light colored one was $3.00 in Minnesota.  I put these outside for Halloween and chose not cut them.  When it snowed I brought them it and they were all still very fresh.  (I lost one that was a bit rotten.)  The center is on a platter which looked a bit dull until I added the two different ribbons with twists and turns and then the three different candle holders and candles for added interest. 
The second is one of my favorites.  My husband comes home with some very "interesting" things from garage sales on occasion, but when he came home with a antique jar full of polished agates I was elated.  The rocks are my base on the tray.  The tray was purchased after Christmas at Target many years ago.  I then added several different candle holders and candles.  So simple and easy to put together.  I love the burnt down look which brings a lot of great texture.  Believe it or not, most of these candle holders have special memories attached to them which makes me love the piece even more.  (Tip: to wash rocks, put in your colander and spray with water, drip dry over night.)
 
 
The Last:  This is a table in my entry.  I am sure some may think it might be a bit much but I have fun changing the look of this with the season.  The vase is from a recent vacation to another country, The narrow platter has a lovely saying on it that reminds me of my mom, the glass pumpkin was a gift from a friend, the empty candy dish (empty so I don't eat anything) is a piece of pottery made by a friend.  We have a bitter sweet vine growing in our yard which I love.  Many of my friends go in search of bitter sweet each fall and I just go snip, snip in my yard.  A great vine to have.
 
Some of you are going to think that all of these things are so simple yet I know people that struggle putting home displays and center pieces together.  Remember right now it is in vogue to use different metals and colors in one display.  The display with pumpkins has a glass, silver and brass candle holder.  This and different heights gives added interest and variety.  The same goes for the tray on the striped runner.  To start your own centerpiece, look around your house to see what you have available.  Draw up a plan and then go to a thrift store or dollar store to complete your plan.  When you are finished, if you don't have storage, donate it back and try something new next year.  Decorating on a budget is really simple and a fun challenge.  And don't forget spray paint is always your friend!
 
Next week I am going to take those pumpkins up on top and empty them, add foam and make floral arrangements in them for my table.  I hope I will have time to take pictures to share.  I am cooking and entertaining for approximately 30.  Can't wait.  And I mean it.
 
With love from your retired FACS teacher, Jane
 

No comments:

Post a Comment