Saturday, June 20, 2015

After a million years of sewing I finally figured out thread quality makes a difference!

The other day I was sewing through several layers of fabric.   My machine had a mind of its own.  It skipped stitches, then would sew fine, skip again and then the thread would break.  I cursed my machine,  rethreaded it on the top, the bottom and repeated that crazy business several times.   I was beyond irritated.  

As a last resort I changed the thread from the inexpensive garbage that I occasionally  use because I can't stand the price of notions these days, to some higher quality product.

Well of course every educated seamstress knows the problem stopped and joy filled my heart as the project continued in peace with success because of the quality thread. I learned a good lesson in my old age and experience.

I also purchased a large quantity of quality thread the next week.

Moral of the story, the thread you use while sewing really matters.

And...keep sewing in your curriculum because it is a strong STEM component.

With love from your retired FACS teacher.

Jane

3 comments:

  1. I had to laugh when reading this - it took me a couple of semesters, but I eventually outlawed WalMart brand ("Mainstays") thread in my classroom. It constantly broke or skipped or slipped back into the machines, argh! Parents would always buy it for their kids because it was half the price of Coats and Clark or whatever else was sold there, but it was so aggravating. In fact after a few years I just started supplying white and black thread to avoid the problem (Iuckily Mainstays doesn't produce a rainbow of colors, so if students chose to go with something else they had to go with a better brand), and I would surreptitiously replace a student's spool if they happened to bring in their own substandard thread. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well now Denise, you appear to be much wiser than this old girl. ;-)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete