Tuesday, July 26, 2016

My heart hurts.

Recently my husband and I were on our motorcycle vacation enjoying the country side.  We do this each summer and have most often stayed in rural areas because it is an escape.

We drove to St Louis from eastern Iowa to visit with my aunt and cousins.   As we live in a technical world we use a GPS to navigate and my husband never deviates.  Occasionally it irritates me.  Just
Saying.

On this trip we were directed through the city of St. Louis.   We crossed the river in Alton and went through the residential area of North St.  Louis.   I have seen similar housing in Detroit but as I felt then, my heart just ached for those living in this so called housing.  Shame on us for letting society call this housing, shame on me for not knowing that people are living in falling down apartment buildings not fit for anyone. 

Shame on anyone for saying just get a job and you could be better off.  There was no industry in the area and very little retail.  How can we sit by the side and say we have a better place when people are living in this poverty?

I was told that St. Louis is known as the most racially divided city in America and I believe it after my recent visit.   There was an instant line and noticeable difference the minute we crossed it.

I don't know the answer to the issue but I do know that there is not always equity in our society.   I do hope that if you are an employer you do not look at race but qualified candidates.   I hope that if you are in education you do everything you can to encourage children to seek a vocation that brings them financial success. I hope that we all do just a little something to change the horrible tensions in our country and bring peace.

I hope that you and I care about all in society and that we all have a goal of helping people become self sufficient members of society. I hope that all can someday be able to work equally, in fair conditions with fair wages.  And, as I type this it makes me sad because this is what the fight during the 60's was about.  Shame on us for thinking the fight is over.  No it is not, it is an allusion and escape for those of us living in privileged society.

With love, hope and peace from your retired FACS teacher,  Jane

4 comments:

  1. In 2003 we moved from West Alton, MO across the river from Alton and sandwiched in between the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers. This was my husband's family's home area . His parents were both born near St. Genevieve and Cape Girardeau and moved to West Alton in 1950 when he was an infant. His dad was hoping for a better life but unfortunately had to work constantly at 2-3 jobs just to keep their house and meager food on the table. His siblings (he's #6 of 7) are all competitive against each other; definitely a survival of the fittest and meanest. My husband loves to be resourceful when it comes to vehicles, so he was a frequent visitor to many of the St. Louis junkyards, which aren't in fair neighborhoods. I've been with him many times and I've seen everything you described...there is hope...UMSL has had partnership and grants to provide junior high and high school students from St. Louis city and inner suburb schools (who sign up and commit to Saturday mornings or the summer program)to be bussed to the campus for tutorial type workshops supervised by UMSL faculty and taught lessons/activities with UMSL students. (I participated 2 semesters while starting on my master's degree.) There are more groups and programs that are helping a small segment of the younger generation. Just thought I'd share some of my experiences there.

    ReplyDelete