Monday, August 26, 2013

I was not going to get sentimental yesterday, but I did today!

Yesterday our oldest son turned 26.  I decided to stop looking back down memory lane because it always makes me weepy and really the future is so bright for our kids!

Well, then my sister in law posted videos from the past....bam, back to the weepy puddle of motherhood.  Which, I guess, is not so bad.

My brother's children are born one year and a day apart from my oldest so we often celebrated the birthdays together when they were young.  There are only 5 boy cousins on my side and they are all very close.  Sometimes more like brothers than cousins.  They keep in touch, they make a point to see each other and they argue too. 

We established many traditions even though my brother and his family have moved all over the country through out the years.  It has been fun.

Family has always been an important connection for everyone in our family.  But we have not been perfect!  There has been dysfunction, pain and hurt along the way more than a few times.  You never know what goes on behind closed doors.  But, when something gets messy you have to move forward, make a change and carry on.  Developing strong, healthy children are what matters.  Sometimes we forget that when we get caught up in our personal adult messes.  Children see and know so much just from being there. 

My point being, one does not have to have perfection to create family and love.  You just need each other, good communication, hope and love to keep your children strong, loving people. 

Happy birthday to three of the "The Boys".  (That's what they were to my mother.)
The 5 of them together....2004

4 of them before #5 was born.  1990

No comments:

Post a Comment