Monday, August 12, 2013

Remember to remind your children to practice kindness

As we get ready for school to start remember that no matter what age your children's might be, remind them to practice kindness to everyone. 

I know as a parent I wanted my children to be successful and good at the things that they do but being kind is also very important.

Sometimes children do horrible things to others to make themselves feel important and special.  Sometimes that behavior is the result of having too much, not having enough or even personality disorders that go undetected. 

Never the less avoiding the topic of kindness with your children is more harmful to them than approaching it while they are in school.

I think that everyone has a memory of someone in their school that was an outcast.  If you approached that person, ignored that person, or teased that person you remember.  You remember because you did not want to be that person and don't want that for your child either. 

One of my greatest memories as a teacher is about a child with special needs accidentally dropping a plate in the foods room.  It shattered everywhere.  She felt so bad that she cried because she didn't want people to think of her as special.  One of the boys in her group, who happened to be on the soccer team, took a plate in his hand, smiled and said, "Will you feel better if I drop one too?"  She smiled laughed and told him he was silly.  He made her feel so much better and he knew what to do in that instance. 

Some students are so uncomfortable with difference that they stay away or make fun.  Try to encourage your children to be accepting of all people no matter their race, how they speak, how they dress or appear.  Everyone deserves a chance.  If your children do not hear about being positive from home they will not know the difference between right and wrong.  If you talk to them about the treatment of others, and they make a mistake, and trust me they will;  they will hear you in the back of their mind reminding them to practice kindness.

I did not do everything perfect with my children.  They are sometimes sarcastic and sometimes appear to be harsh with others.  But I do know that deep in their souls they are kind, caring gentlemen that understand not everyone is the same.   And, I know that I haunt them on occasion.  Yep, that makes me smile because I know I did my job and helped them develop their moral compass. 

I don't remember many quotes from T.V. shows but one stands out from the show Roseanne.  I remember thinking, good writing.  One of the kids yelled at Roseanne and said, "I hate you!"  Roseanne yelled back, "Good, that means I am doing my job!" 

Don't be afraid to do your job, parent your children and teach them to be kind and accepting.

With Love from your retired FACS teacher,
Jane

1 comment:

  1. Haha! Great Roseanne quote! Good post topic as well - if there is one thing that I find lacking in the classroom, it is kindness.

    ReplyDelete