Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Family time is important but sometimes mom's and dad's need to get away


Family time is important but sometimes mom’s  and dad's need to get away.

 As a strong advocate for family time and togetherness I also believe in friendships and bonding for the parents.  I have been friends with my college roommates for so long that I do not want to give you a number. 

Each of us was married and had children at a relatively similar time.  During that time as friends we organized gatherings at least one time a year.  Some of these gathering have been elaborate and some very simple and casual.  It is not always easy as we all live in the Midwest but this space involves 3 different states.

When we started our gatherings it was time to get a break from our kids and the trials and tribulations of everyday life.  As we have grown older, and most of us have approached the empty nest stage, it has been a time to talk about life’s challenges and rewards. 

I feel as though these gatherings are so healthy.  They are filled with laughter, reminiscing, encouragement and sometimes tears.   The connections are deep and fond.  As we grow older we see changes in each other.  Sometimes those changes make us feel that we are so lucky in the path we have chosen and other times we might look at a friend and aspire to make a personal change.

No matter what I am thankful for these annual gatherings and hope that as a parent, single person or someone in-between you have relationships in your life that can bring you joy and happiness too. 
 
 This photo is from 2005 so if you see me wearing that garment I will be caught with outdated clothing. (Ha, Ha)  Most of us have aged gracefully, I think.
 
With love from your retired FACS teacher,
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment