Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving recipe changes for our vegetables and Thanks for a good life.

My Husband and I returned from our vacation in Mexico.  We are so thankful being able to enjoy our life together celebrating our 27th anniversary.  Although the place we stayed was amazing it made me realize the world is full of those that have and those that have not.  We are blessed with family, love  and careers,  and I am ever grateful for these things.

Upon my return I was hired for two days to work with students from my former districts ALC (Alternative Learning Center) to prepare a reward meal for the students trimester end.  It was a lovely celebration and great to see the students enjoy and appreciate a meal together.  We made a traditional U.S. Thanksgiving meal.  Turkey, Stuffing, Mashed Potatoes, Gravy, Green Bean Casserole, Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Salad, Pumpkin and Apple Pie.  The meal was a great success and it was nice to see students in this positive setting. 

Displaying 20131126_114018.jpg

At Home

While preparing for our small Thanksgiving day meal at home.  (Only 9 this year, missing my son and his girl, my dad and sister and my brother...) I decided that we should keep some family favorites but other things need to change.   We do not need EVERYTHING filled with fat and grease so I am using new recipes for my vegetables.

Sorry to the soup and fried onion companies there will be NO green bean casserole in our house. The sweet potatoes will not include sugar!

Green Beans

Instead I sautéed onions in 2 tablespoons of olive oil.  Then added a 1/3 cup of balsamic vinegar and 2 Tablespoons of Agave` in the sauce pan reduced the sauce and poured it over my beans.  I will bake it at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes with no lid on Thursday.
Displaying 20131127_121017.jpg
 

Broccoli

I also made broccoli with a light cheese sauce using a rue.  I used 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and 2 Tablespoons of flour.  I then added 1/2 cup of milk, 1 cup of water and salt and pepper to taste.  (Seriously, I used water because I ran out of milk, but you can use more milk for a richer sauce.) I then whisked in 1/3 cup of sharp cheddar cheese and poured it over my broccoli again I will bake it at 350 degrees on Thursday for 8-10 minutes.  (If you want a cheesier sauce add more shredded cheese.)

Although this is a cheese sauce it is lightly salted and not processed by a factory. 

Displaying 20131127_120955.jpg

Sweet Potatoes

Just going to slice them, coat them with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic and roast them on a pan.  Mmmmmm, just like summer on the grill. 


I hope that those of you in the U.S. have a great Thanksgiving, and my friends from around the world I am grateful for your friendships. 

With love from your retired FACS teacher!
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment