Saturday, January 30, 2016

A smoothie recipe for all but especially those of us over 40

There has been a smoothie craze for at least 5 years or more.  I have often thought that it was a bit crazy to drink ones breakfast but it is wise for those on the go to whip this up and take it on ones commute.  You can even prepackage most of your smoothie and freeze it so that you just have to pour a few things in the morning.

I think smoothies are also a great replacement for the malt or shake craving.  It is the same kind of cool texture, better for you and of course if done correctly less calories.

I say this smoothie is good for us over 40 because some of the items in this recipe are "supposed" to help our shot metabolism, fight inflammation and are good antioxidants.  Who knows, but I do think it has been good for me.  (Sources are authority in nutrition, lives strong, WebMD, worlds healthiest foods)

Recipe

1- 3/4 cup crushed ice

1 cup skim milk (protein and calcium)

1-3/4 cup mixed berries ( I like to use the mix with cherries and blueberries, as cherries are good for combating inflammation and blueberries are an antioxidant.)

1-2 tablespoons lemon juice (this is good vitamin C and antioxidant, it has many properties but one main one is it can eliminate the occurrence of kidney stones. If you like tart use more)

1-2 table spoons fruit flavored balsamic vinegar.  (I use blueberry or any other fruit I have on hand.  This is expensive but I use this instead of sugar.  Balsamic is suppose to lower blood pressure and keep sugar levels steady.)

1 tablespoon flax seed (Has good fat in it, estrogen, antioxidant and of course fiber.)

1/2 to 1 teaspoon turmeric (Largest property anti inflammatory. As good as ibuprofen, so they say.)

1 teaspoon cinnamon (Has several properties but for me the most important is it reduces blood sugar, which is very good for those susceptible to type 2 diabetes.)

1/2 to 1 teaspoon ginger (Reduces muscle pain, reduces inflammation, reduces nausea.)

pinch of red pepper (good flavor accent)

About 230 calories

This will yield about 2 cups.  I mix in a individual blender but you can use a regular size blender too.  You want to make sure that you have everything covered in liquid.  If not just add a bit of water.

Try it I think you will like it.

With love from you retired FACS teacher, Jane






No comments:

Post a Comment