Monday, June 10, 2013

WHAT was he Thinking?

Today I read on twitter that a young man almost died from drinking an excess of Soy Sauce.  Of course it was a dare.  His sodium level was so high they were worried about brain damage. 

I got to thinking about the times that young people that I have known over the years have done crazy things with out thinking.  I thought about the consequences and how it changed the course of things.

Ingesting too much of anything is always bad.  When FACS educators teach young people we need to always be aware of the crazy, stupid things kids do.  We need to caution them and make them wise as to what might happen when they do most anything to an extreme. 

We think of teaching the practical excesses (If an excess can be practical, mmmm) like over eating, over exercising, not eating enough but what of the crazy?

When I was around the age of 19 the boys in my dorm did something called the 12 o'clock high.  They drank one beer every hour for 24 hours straight.  It was quite a party and no one thought much of it until one of the guys that didn't like beer started taking shots of whiskey every hour.  He ended up in the hospital and being rather sick for some time.  It awakened many of us and made us aware of the poison, and made it a reality that too much alcohol really was very bad for all of us.

Although I didn't know my husband in college I know that he had some wild adventures in his fraternity and ended up in the hospital from too much alcohol.  I shall not go into detail!

As educators some of these warnings might be heard if we speak them, as young people often tune out to the wisdom of their parents. 

So, while teaching don't forget to throw in a few scary comments about what happens when you do too much of a good thing!  Because what might appear to be harmless might just very well be dangerous. 

With love from you now retired FACS teacher!

Looking for work....Ha, Ha.

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment