Monday, July 22, 2013

Family and vacation thoughts

I stopped posting while on my trip across the Midwest and West.  I had two issues.  One, technology connections were not great, and two, I saw something at Yellowstone that hit home for me.  It made me think about why Family and Consumer Sciences is so important to me and what family is all about.

While on our way to visit the wonderful "Old Faithful"  we stopped at a waterfall.  A mom was directing her, about 10 year old twin boys, to their car after viewing the fall.  I heard her say, "No, you can't play your games, we are not doing technology on this vacation."  I smiled and poked my husband.  Told him I liked that comment and was proud of the mom for taking a stand and sticking to it.  I know as a mom children are professionals at trying to get what they want.  But, she was good too.

20130713_155524.jpg
Teddy Roosevelt national park in North Dakota.  Our first stop!

We also were lucky enough to stay in the wonderful Lake Hotel at Yellowstone.  We did not have wi-fi, a phone, air conditioning or a television set.  It was the most expensive hotel that we stayed at but had the least amount amenities available.  I loved the hotel because it is rather old and is kept to most of its original glory. (Teaching housing and interior design has given me a great appreciation for architecture.)  I squawked when I was not able to post my daily Facebook picture but I survived and so did my husband.  Once we settled we were able to enjoy the view and the beautiful hotel.  We also realized how expensive it must be for our park service to maintain the grand old place.

My point is, don't be afraid to take technology away from your children this summer.  Toddlers, youth and teens.  It is often easy to pretend they are fine but you really know they have been playing games a bit too long, you just want a few more minutes.  I have been there, I remember.

Hopefully we can remember that technology is a tool not a constant way of communication.  (Pet peeve, two young people out to eat looking at their phone instead of talking to each other.)  Remember some of the things that you did when you were a child that kept you busy.  Introduce those things to your family and make traditions for your people just like you may have had as a child.  If you didn't have that family time in your past, make the memories now for your family.  You will see that those simple memories, that you create, will be lasting for everyone.

While we were on vacation it was my aunt's birthday.  She left us in 2008 but us cousins remember her with such fondness.  She was single and never had her own children but my cousins (15 of us) and my cousins children (32) all remember her for her kindness, love and strength.  One of my cousins suggested that we post memories of her on her birthday.  It was so special to see those memories but the thing that stood out was that every memory was steeped in SIMPLE tradition.  Hikes in her town, playing the game button-button, (for many generations), picnics in her back yard for any occasion, learning the different plants in her yard, always told to come again when we left, talks at her kitchen table, making stone soup and so much more. 

Keep your family strong and keep it together, in whatever form your family may be.  Family and tradition will keep those deep roots around you when things get difficult and you feel you might topple over.  Those roots will help you pull up your strength when you need it in the future. 

20130715_122737.jpg
 
A stop along the way of bear tooth pass.  One of my favorite parts of our trip.




With love from your retired FACS teacher, Jane

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment