Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Too Many Irons in the Fire.

As a FACS professional I have met a great deal of people that are very much like me.  Because our profession has many components to it, those of us involved are good at a great many things. 

I love to create things through sewing and decorating, I love to write, I love to talk about what we do through my blog, I love to promote, I am good with numbers (sometimes), and I love to speak to people about what they do and what I do.

When I retired early from teaching I decided to focus on creating items for ETSY to sell.  I was going to do this for me.  I knew that I would not make much money at it but it would be a fun hobby. 

I occasionally do floral arranging for weddings.  Two this summer.  But they are friends and it is not a real money maker.

I also knew that I was going to continue to do the bookwork for our family's machine shop. 

So, I thought I should substitute teach to at least pay for my health insurance.

O.k. that is four jobs.

Now, my husband has started a small new company that is really fun and has been something he has wanted to do for years.  Pringle Bagpipes, yes we are making bagpiping items.  I am helping him by doing much of the marketing and start up chores that a new business entails.

So you see my life is still the same chaos I thought I would escape when I left education.  O.K. Maybe not the same.  The stress is different, the jobs are my choice and I have less money.

But oh, I am having fun doing what I want to do;  still getting my kid fix and taking care of myself in a new way.  And still full of FACS passion.

With Love From Your Retired FACS Teacher, Jane


These are practice chanters that our company has made, "Aren't they Pretty?"
FYI traditionally they have been black.  We are starting the customization of color with them and we are causing a stir among the traditionalists.  Imagine me being a part of that.  Ha, Ha.



No comments:

Post a Comment