Monday, July 7, 2014

AAFCS conference in review!

One of my last posts was a long list of all that I had to do before the American Association of Family Consumer Sciences conference in St. Louis and then my vacation with my husband.

The AAFCS conference went well.  There were new events that appeared to be successful and fun for those attending.  For me it is important to see new/young faces and keep those new people involved in the organization. 

The following are just a couple of notes on activities that I was involved in this year.

"Not your mom's PR"

I felt success during our education session and was happy to see the participation of young folks helping those that were slightly technically challenged enter the social media world.  Sometimes those that use social media on a regular basis can not fathom their world with out the android or I-phone in their hand. Yet, I met a great deal of members that were so happy to just understand how to get an account on Facebook and Twitter and use it.

Because we are a group that is so diverse, those that do not understand how to use technology need to embrace it and move forward and those that are constant users of social media need to be patient and teach. 

The presentation is posted on the blog before this.

ESAE

I have been treasurer for ESAE for two years.  I am not necessarily good at that job but took it on because there were not others that stepped up.  I am grateful for a new treasurer and someone to take over and hopefully be much better at the job than I was this year and last year.

The Secondary teachers have always had a silent auction to raise money to support the "Teacher of the Year" recognition.  This year the silent auction did not receive as many donations as in the past and there was some confusion with donations and where to leave them.  

Please remember that when something goes wrong or not the way that you think it should happen; the people organizing the event are almost always volunteers.   These volunteers are often new to their office/position and might not be perfect at all that they do.  Most of these people also have careers, work hard at all that they do; because there is such a shortage of volunteers they often do too much and find themselves caught in unfamiliar territory.

I made dumb mistakes this year....Not enough bid sheets were printed, forgot my change, used the wrong email list of affiliate presidents......and frankly the list could be longer.  But because I know myself, I am not shocked.  I am a total picture person but NOT a detail oriented person.  This is the reason I have NEVER taken on the roll of President of anything.  Can't do it, never will.

The thing is, when you work with someone that is different that you are you just have to accept it and move on.  I try very hard not to judge because I know what it feels like to be the person criticized.  Everyone is different and that is why the world works as it does.  (Let me point out that I am not perfect and I have been irritated by someone different than I but I most definitely appreciate their differences!)

So let us move on and get to the point.  ESAE is vital to the association.  We need to support this group and find a way to have more applicants for teacher of the year.  We need to make the Teacher of the Year experience good for all of the affiliate candidates and make them feel special.  Teachers are fundamental to the AAFCS organization as a whole and it is time to help and guide the group as much as possible.

Community Showcase

This event went so well.  I hope that those that did not know what a community is have a better understanding of them and become involved. 

The Public Awareness community is still looking for a new leader. 

Thanks to the community leaders for doing such a nice job organizing.

With love from your retired FACS teacher,

Jane




No comments:

Post a Comment