Thursday, July 31, 2014

Interesting observations about just 25 cents

It is well known by those around my that I am frugal but also generous at times.  On the other hand my husband comes from a family of penny pitchers to the extreme.  This large family grew up during the 50's, 60's and 70's.  It became a way of life for most of them and it continues on into their adulthood.  The boys in particular.

I must admit that I have said more time than once to my husband "You can't take it with you."  He has sort of embraced that philosophy and I appreciate his effort.  I also make some compromises and one of them is to purchase groceries in the most economical way I can.

I shop at a store called Aldi.  Aldi was started in Germany and Klaus loves this place.  He and his family lived in Germany for several years while his Dad was in the military.  Sometimes there are things that are available that remind him of those good old days.  Klaus is from Iowa but we live in Minnesota.  For some reason Iowa had Aldi long before Minnesota.  The first time I went to Aldi I was like, "What is this place?"  It was much different back in the early 90's.  There were almost all generic items, not much produce, everything was stacked on floor pallets and they don't have bags unless you want to buy them.  I did not have much of an open mind.  We continued to shop there over the years as once a frugal family always a frugal family.  When Aldi moved pretty close to where I live I started shopping there although it is much improved compared to the good old days in Iowa. 

I love it because the locations are generally small and I can make quick trips for our basic household needs.  We don't need much these days.

But, the point of this ramble are the carts.  For me they have almost become a social experiment.  If you do not know this, when you get a cart you have to pay 25 cents to unchain one.  They do this so that people bring them back and they do not have to hire a "cart person".  Makes sense.

I most often purchase a cart.  I only purchase the amount of items that fit in my "grocery bag".  Once finished shopping I always try to give my cart to someone else once I have put the groceries in the car.  When you do this people always want to give you a quarter because when you return your cart you do get your quarter back. 

I know it is ridiculous but I like to give my cart for "free".  I always say, "It's o.k. just take it."  This brings on the most remarkable smiles on peoples faces.  It is amazing what a simple quarter can do for people. 

The funny part for me, is when someone is walking in the store with three giant bags and I offer my cart and they say no and run away because they think they have to give me a quarter.  I mean it is a quarter.  This small amount of money can bring out the most interesting looks and responses from people.  It really is a social experiment. 

Well, yesterday someone gave me a cart.  First time.  Pretty cool.  Yep, I paid it forward and gave it to someone else. What would you do?

What fun.

With love from your retired FACS teacher, Jane

P.S. My husband does not like that I give my cart away.  Those quarter add up you know.  ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment