Friday, July 18, 2014

Old is new and New is old and we do it all over again!

When I was teaching my favorite subjects to teach were those that suggested students be creative and think outside of the box.  Often those classes were higher level classes that used the skill level that students retained from lower level courses. 

It is not always easy for a teacher to be able to conduct courses that are higher level because you really need to know basic content yourself.  You need to be ahead of your students so that when they get an idea you can help them figure out how to achieve their goals.

Pinterest has been a resource that many people love because creative ideas are openly shared with others. This is a quick source to find directions on how to produce a product, which makes creativity very fun.

When I retired I decided that I might try to get a position in industry.  I have a great deal of knowledge and have lived through sever decades.  I was not successful finding a position and I think that many HR departments are looking for young "fresh" talent.  This always makes me chuckle because so much of today's fashion is what we call in fashion history as "revival".  Sometimes I think I could have saved my closet from the 70;s, 80's and 90's, combined them all together and made a wardrobe for the 2000's.  (Of course I could only fit them on my right leg.)

Anyway the whole point of my long indirect story is that re-purposing is here......again!  My mom said this in the 70's when I was making skirts out of pants and I am saying again when I see my former students re-purpose much of their wardrobe.

Last summer my son's girlfriend saw a planter made out of a shoe for gardening and said she wanted to do that too.  My son started laughing and said, "My mom has been doing that forever, that isn't knew."

It is true, I have a couple of old boots with flowers in them.  I also rarely buy planters and my yard is filled with canners, metal tea and coffee pots loaded with flowers.  This isn't for everyone but my random personality embraces it.

I also covered one of my outdoor tables with broken dishes.  I screwed cement board onto the table and fit broken dishes onto the table with tile glue, filled the cracks with grout and then coated the table.  I did this project because someone in my house dropped a box of dishes and I could not just through them away.  I might add that this may be one of the most challenging project I have taken on and I will not being doing it again.

Seriously, I like to think of myself as an intelligent human being....I uploaded these pictures and had them rotated so that you do not have to lay down to see these in the correct direction but I can not rotate them in this blog.  So much for my technical savvy.   



 
What items have you re-purposed in your household?

Please share.

With love from your retired FACs teacher, Jane
 

No comments:

Post a Comment