Monday, May 27, 2013

We remember and give THANKS!

Memorial Day is a holiday that is sad and happy at the same time.  I think of those that have given their lives before us to give us the freedom and happiness that we have in this country and it makes me sad that so many have sacrificed for us.  But, the freedom that we have because of them makes me so very happy.

There is not a war that begins with-out pause or ends with-out heart ache and sometimes regret.

As a child I remember my mother always insisting she go to memorial services in the small town that I grew up in, in central Minnesota.  She never made us go with her but she had to go.  I distinctly remember a year when it was cold and rainy and just she and I sat in the bleachers of the high school gym.  The veterans gave a gun salute and my mother cried uncontrollably.  I didn't understand why at the time but as an adult I know that she grew up during a time where many men lost their lives to war.  She must have had friends that never came home.

She never talked about it because that was not done.  And, even though I was young I knew it was private and something she needed to keep for herself.  I do know that I hurt for her because she was always my strength.

Melissa
Today we pay tribute to all of those fallen soldiers and give thanks to those that have given time to the military to protect us and our country.

Members that serve or have served in my husbands and my family

Don (my husbands father), Bob, Bill, Jerome, Steve, Tom, Mark, Jon, Brien, Jeff, Melissa, David, and Eric.

Thank You for your service.

With love from your soon to be retired FACS teacher,
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment