Monday, May 20, 2013

What do I mean when I say "decay in society"?

I don't always go into great detail when I blog.  I think that if I want anyone to read what I say it should be short.  I would say sweet too but I am often rather tart in personality.

Recently I wrote a blog in celebration of my aunt and uncles marriage and stated that much of our societal decay is due to lack of family involvement and parenting.

I said this with out using any moral judgment of peoples lifestyle choices but more in my observation of children in high school seeming to raise themselves and not have a great deal of parenting in their lives.

I am afraid that too many young people don't know what to do with themselves and have very little guidance and direction.  It feels like children want to be adult but don't want responsibility of what it takes to be an adult. 

We find ourselves facing a generation of children that have a lot of wants but seem to rely on others to get those wants.  Personal responsibility seems to have often gone by the wayside.  Owning up to a wrong for some youth does not seem to exist. 

This is not a racial phenomenon but a generational one.  Sometimes it scares me and I wonder if these things were said during other changing times in society.  It feels different to me, I have been around for a while and the clients that I reach are not the same now as they were 10 years ago.

I hope that my doubts, wonders and concerns are wrong and that I am misdirected.  If you might be raising a family with teens please stay involved in their lives, keep parenting, keep having rules, keep making consequences and keep directing your children positively.  They need you no matter what their age.

As always, keep eating together as a family.

With love your soon to be retired FACS teacher,
Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment