Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Day 9: Motorcycle trip from Minnesota to Nova Scotia, we are Here!

Today we drove from Truro to the south west coast of Nova Scotia. We visited 3 communities, Mahone Bay, Chester and Lunenburg.  Each community is filled with colorful cedar shake homes, wonderful eating establishments, and shops.

I was excited to see the giant word Quilt on the front of a shop in Mahone.  I walked in and it was filled with finished quilts.  They were lovely but not what I was interested in. 

That shop owner mentioned another shop and said they had Kaffe Fassett fabric.  Boy did my ears perk up 

I walked into a beautiful studio with hand dyed wool fabric and wool yarn.  Hanging on the walls were amazing works of art done in punch/ latch rug form.  The area is know for punch / latch rugs and there is even a museum in Queensland.

But the fabric.....oh my.  If anyone knows me, they know, I have a love of vibrant fabrics and the Kaffe Fassett Collective is my favorite.  Heidi ONLY has Free Spirit Fabrics.  And truly, these fabrics are perfect for the community with the brightly painted buildings and the seaside decor`

To be honest, it is the first I have seen of Free Spirit in Canada and I was thrilled.  The owner explained that there was another local shop and she wanted to carry fabrics that didn't cross over to them.

They have a wonderful selection of FreeSpirit fabric ,largely Kaffe Fassett Collective. She even opened her new delivery of fabric while I was browsing.  Scary, but I own every pattern that she pulled out of the box.
The shop also has a nice selection of Tula Pink with a smattering of other FreeSpirit lines.




There are a few flannels along with the cottons too.  If you live in the area and don't have a good KFC source, here it is.  If you are driving by take a look.  If you have never used these fabrics, try them, you will fall in love.

I had a lovely visit with the shop owner.  She has only been there a year and the purchased fabric part of her shop is the newest part of her business.  
Previously they had a farm, with sheep, and thus leads to the wool dying in her studio.

A beautiful place and kind people, I recommend a visit!

With love from your retired FACS teacher, Jane 


No comments:

Post a Comment