Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Fast and easy meal for the family

I have to say that Chili has been a family main meal for my entire life.  My Mom made Chile on a regular basis.  She made it much like some mom's make pasta when they don't know what else to make.

My Mother and Grandmother made chili the same way.  Hamburger, kidney beans, tomato sauce, very little seasoning and rice.  You say WHAT, RICE?  Yep and I thought all chili had rice in it until I went to college.  I called my mom one day asking her if chili had rice in it; because I was telling my friends that it was weird that the school made it with out rice.  I had never seen such a thing.  My Mother started laughing and said that Grandma started including rice in her Chili during the depression to make it stretch and only our family made it that way.  I was shocked and couldn't believe it to be true.  Very funny now when I look back.

I make chili much differently because my husband of 27 years would have no part of rice in his chili.  We have also gone beyond our German heritage of no seasoning but salt and pepper and a couple of bay leaves in our food.

This is the standard recipe that I have developed as several folks over the years have asked for it.  When we discuss meals in my healthy living class we use this recipe.  Many students have taken it home and made it for their families with success.

My Chili Recipe ....no rice

  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • ½ green pepper, chopped
  • 1 fifteen ounce can black beans with cumin keep liquid
  • 1 fifteen ounce can chili beans with liquid
  • 1 - 14 or 15 ounce can chopped tomatoes
  • 1 eight ounce can of tomato sauce
  • 1 table spoon chili powder
  • 2 garlic gloves, crushed
Note: If you are unable to find Black beans with cumin just add 1/2 teaspoon of cumin to your recipe.

Toppings:  shredded cheddar cheese, low fat sour cream
 
In a Dutch oven or six quart pan fry ground beef, onions, and green pepper until beef is brown.  Drain the extra fat out with a spoon and put in an empty can and throw away in garbage. 

Put crushed garlic and chili powder in pan with ground beef mixture.  Stir.  Add both cans of beans including the liquid, crushed tomatoes and tomato sauce.  Let simmer on medium heat stirring occasionally.  Once ingredients are all heated to 165 degrees you may eat.  Note:  The longer the simmer the more enriched the flavors with be in your chili. 

Chili can be topped with cheddar cheese and sour cream.

Chili can be made ahead of time and stored in the freezer for a later date.

No comments:

Post a Comment