Monday, March 25, 2013

I Need a Snack

I need a snack.

I find that it is so easy for parents to grab processed food for snacks and most of the time these snacks are empty calories that children do not need.  I was not perfect trust me, I believed that a fruit snack or fruit roll up had mostly fruit in it.  No comment.

I did serve a great deal of apple sauce and some of it was home made because I had 3 apple trees when my kids were young. 

Most everything is O.K in moderation.  The problem is when we tend to use these processed snacks on a regular basis and our kids get a taste for them.  Sugar is addicting.  I see it in the teens that I teach.  Many of them live off of vending machine food, carbs and high sugar snacks. 

In healthy living I try very hard to encourage healthy foods that taste good.  I know they hear me but they are not ready to give up the junk.  It is my hope that they remember my constant repetition about useless empty calories when they have their own children and they start out with healthy foods for their kids.

I know with my boys that cooking from scratch almost all of the time left an impression.  One night when #2 son was about 10 he looked at me and said, "Can't we just have a hot dog sometime."  I started laughing and then said, "No, I don't like them."   

My friend that teaches in a small town in Minnesota started making Kale chips in her classroom.  Upon her recommendation I did the same in my snack unit.  We make 6 types of spreads or dips and then we make kale chips and tortilla chips in the oven.

The kale is cut up; we spread olive oil on it and salt or season it with spices lightly.  We bake them in a 350 degree oven until they get brown around the edges. 

We cut the tortillas with a pizza cutter, spread water on them with a pastry brush, and then season them.  Also baked in an oven at 350 degrees until crisp.

The following are two of the dip recipes that we use with the chips.  I personally think these would be great for lunches and after school.  The bean dip has a kick but you can tone it down.  Both the humus and the bean dip can be made it a blender.  It is fast, very inexpensive and will last in your fridge for a week. 


Black Bean Dip/Spread
  • 1-15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
  • ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves
  • 1/2  cup chopped red onion
  • ½ cup chopped celery
  • 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 Tablespoon orange juice
  • 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 4 garlic cloves
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • ¼ teaspoon salt

 Place chopped onion, cilantro and celery in blender or food processor with lime juice and olive oil.  Blend until somewhat smooth.  Add remaining ingredients and blend until smooth.   
Serve as a sandwich spread or dip for vegetables such as carrots or cauliflower.


Low Fat Hummus

Ingredients: 
  •   1 15 oz can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans, drained (save liquid)
  •   1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
  •   1 tablespoon lemon juice
  •   1 tablespoon tahini, or low fat peanut butter if you prefer (optional, but if you   do not use, increase yogurt by 1 TBSP) Note:  tahini=ground sesame seeds
  •   1/2 cup plain yogurt
  •    ½  teaspoon salt
 Preparation:
In a food processor or blender combine beans, tahini (if desired), yogurt, garlic, and lemon juice. Blend well. Add salt and cumin and blend to a smooth and creamy dip.

 If your hummus is too thick, add a little bit of the liquid from the chickpeas - about a teaspoon at a time. Other ways to thin out hummus is by using warm water or olive oil.
Love and Peace your FACS teacher,

Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment