Wednesday, April 10, 2013

A Family Fun Night For Prom

I actually love prom.  I do.  I know it is crazy but it is such an embedded ritual for high school kids in Minnesota.  I didn't go to prom in high school.  It was not a big deal when I was in school and I didn't have a date.  Sad, I know, I was not popular with the boys.  A bit needy I am guessing.  These comments are all in good fun by the way.  I am known for self deprecating humor. 

But I digress.  Back to Prom and a great activity for the family.

I always encourage kids to spend as little money as possible on prom and to go with friends, not a stranger you just asked out to have a date. 

When my younger son was a senior we encouraged him to wear his kilt to save money and I asked his group of friends if they wanted to have meal at our home instead of going out.  Many of them said yes,  some did not, thinking I don't know what, maybe they would get a meal on paper plates.

We set 3 tables in our living room and dining room.

We made menu's for the kids.  They had two choices of meat, veggies and potatoes.

We had a dessert table, we had fake wine, we had water glasses, basically the whole nine yards.  We had little gifts for each place setting.  One of the girls walked in and literally awwwwed.  I laughed because I really can not imagine what they were expecting. 

The mom's wore white and waited on the tables.  The dads did grilling of chicken and steak.  I made the other parts of the meal in my kitchen.

I only charged $7.00 a person and I of course took a hit but I wanted the kids to take a bit of the ownership for this night. 

After the kids left the parents had a party themselves. 

It was a great night and we all had so much fun.  The kids enjoyed their parents, the parents enjoyed their kids...and we enjoyed ourselves once they left.  It is a great way to promote family time during a night that normally just does not promote family time.

Granted I have a pretty big entertaining area in my house but you don't have to have 18 kids at your house.  (Yes, I have a lot of dishes,  it is a sickness and my husband has made it stop!)  It works with a smaller group too.  Think about it; I bet I fed all of those kids for the price of two couples in a fine eating establishment.  Eating out is expensive and really not necessary for a group of kids that are trying to save money for their futures.

Below are a couple of pictures from that night.  Boy the kids look like babies to me.  They are now 23 and 24 years old and well on their way to adulthood.

Table set up a mom taking orders a toast

 the dessert table


No comments:

Post a Comment